Sunday, May 15, 2016

Student Reflections - Comic Art #1

D. W.
12th
Comic Art

Comic Art is a class that is exactly what you think it is. You make comics. You also learn about the basics of creating one as well as the history of comics. You can make comics in any style you want whether it be superheroes, manga, or your own style. You make sketches of what the comic will look like as a storyboard, then you put it on bristol board. You also have to ink it using inking pens. You may color it, but it’s only optional. You then take an ames lettering guide and write what is happening and what the characters are saying using it. The last thing you have to do is ink what you just wrote. That’s it. It’s a lengthy process, but it’s a fun time.

My favorite assignment would be when we had to make our own 8 page comic. Mine was called “The Glutton Rebellion.” It was a story about a glutton named Tim. He and his coworkers loved working at this food factory because it was everything they could ask for in a job. Then, one day, their CEO, H. Carbo, decided to change the ingredients of the food. H e changed the ingredients into the gluttons. The angry gluttons found out about this and they went on strike. This angers Carbo, so he banishes his workers from not just his factory, but from the city so the gluttons could die outside of it. Tim must now reunite with the other 49 gluttons to fight beasts higher up on the food chain, go back to the factory and defeat Carbo. It was fun making this and I liked how it turned out. I just wish I could’ve made it longer. I thought it was lame when they found the other 46 gluttons in one cage. But, other than that, I had fun making it.
My least favorite work might be my superhero drawing because it isn’t very original. It’s inspired by a meme from a game called Assassin’s Creed. Here’s a tip, if you make a character, unless it’s a joke, don’t make it based off a meme. Especially, if it’s outdated like No Me Gusta or the Awesome face. Maybe that’s why I created Glitch Man. Maybe just to make a joke character and I succeeded. At least I didn’t make Troll Man where it’s literally just a giant floating troll face.


So, I’ve created an almost 8 page comic about these goblins creatures bent on revenge, a villain that does bad things because it pleases him, and a hero based on a meme (What was I thinking?). If you like comics, manga, or even just drawing characters, you’ll enjoy this class quite a bit. I took it because I like to make my own characters. That’s my thing. You’ll get better at drawing, you’ll know the basics of making a comic, and even get better at telling a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment