Thursday, May 12, 2016

Student Reflections - Video Game Design #2

L.M.
11TH
Video Game Design




This class was about the behind-the-scenes of video games we love; it was about the actual creation and mechanics of video games. We worked together and tested each other’s work and quickly learned to produce decent video gaming content. I learned about the actual programming it takes to make a video game work and that it is not as simple as animating little characters. I learned about the distinct engines available for creating video games and the pipelines that are used.




My favorite assignment of the year was the solar system animation in Unity. I enjoyed this one the most because we designed our solar system in an engine that is widely used by huge game developers who have created popular games using the engine. It was impressive to see how I could re-create our actual solar system while implementing some of my own designs. I learned about 3D sounds and how they work to make sounds appear close or far. It also gave me a good introduction into Unity.



My maze game from GameMaker was not my best due to the fact that I could have created a much better layout using smaller wall tiles. The levels felt huge and and easy to navigate. The enemies in my maze game could have been more difficult to get around and my main character could have been designed a bit better. The only thing I was proud of was my design of the brick wall and two of my enemies.


A good work I have not yet shown is the roller madness project we created in Unity. I enjoyed this one as it taught me a whole lot about how special effects are made and it introduced me to the basics of user interfaces. The end result looked amazing and was actually pretty difficult yet really fun to play. It pushed me further into video game development and I believe that I now have a much more vast knowledge on creating video games than I had when I first walked in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment