Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Student Reflections - Comic Art #2

W. P.
10th
Comic Art

Poitier.jpg

Comic Art, a class where you create comics. Taking it at face value, it doesn’t seem like much at all. However, we took the time to discuss the intricacies of things such as shading and paneling, all of which contributed to our final revisions of each project. However, everything we learned in the class I had already known in some form or another, so there wasn’t much for me there. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the class, despite my many unruly classmates.

ZheCook.jpg

Out of everything we did, I’d say my favorite assignment was the superhero and supervillain drawing. I had my two characters I drew (the pictures beside both this and the last paragraph) already in my head for over a year prior to this, but never did anything with them. Because of this, me and a friend have elected to start work on a story for this together, complete with backstories and locations, new villains, and even a sidekick. We’ve worked hard to establish motivations for our morally ambiguous hero, goals for our capitalistic tyrant of a villain, and all of it has shown what you can do when you actually set your mind to something. I’m truly excited to begin work on the actual comic and flesh out these characters even more.
Albion.jpg
My worst work, without a doubt, was the last one we did, which was a comic based around the trailer for the movie Albion: The Enchanted Stallion. There wasn’t a single part of this project I liked, save for the dialogue. And on top of that, the art I created for this one was atrocious, especially compared to the previous assignments. While I do have worse works, those were all unfinished and were never even colored. This one I saw through to the end, though it was not worth it. At least some parts were decent, so I can’t complain too much. But I still feel that it left a LOT to be desired.  

Twitch.jpg

Overall, I would recommend this class. While many of the assignments left me disappointed or bored, I’m still excited to begin the actual work on our comics next year. To create an entire immersive world, complete with its own characters who have their own motivations, all with only a pencil and an idea? And the almost euphoric feeling you get when your work is praised by your peers is great. But above all, you can take pride in knowing that this is your creation. You designed and built this from the ground up. In a way, this new world is like a part of you, each page growing better than the last. So if you want a chance to release your ideas and stories in your own style, then by all means sign up for this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment